Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Wedding, A Beastly Morning, and the Beauty of the Backroad


So earlier this month, two of my high school classmates, Ryan and Megan, took their leap into marriage. After years of dating they have tied the knot and said, “I do” to a life together. It was a great wedding, full of friends, dancing, fun, and of course, some drank. It was a wedding that their friends and family had been anxiously awaiting… and I must say the wedding was well worth the wait. What a fun night it was, and a great celebration of the newlyweds. Each Muenster wedding I attend, I find the true skill involved in avoiding the hazards of a beer slicked dance floor, that and the value of some comfortable shoes. 

 After many a brew at the wedding as well as at the after party at the local watering hole Tony’s, I was ready for bed. I would not realize which bed that meant until the next morning. I awoke around 10 am to a phone call from my mom. After taking a minute to absorb my surroundings, I realized I could answer her burning question of where I was. I awoke in the bed of what I am sure were the finest linens, colored pink and zebra stripe. I then realized the walls were also pink, the only choice when designing a room around pink and zebra sheets for a little girl. I then walked to the front door and realized where I was. I had slept in a girl’s bedroom in Saint Jo, the town to the west of Muenster, and… it was snowing. Needless to say, I was confused. Now as a disclaimer, I must say that the girl whose room I was in was not there. She spent the night at grandma’s house that night. I feel the need not to divulge the events that took place to bring me to such a place, but the short version is some friends needed a car to get back home, so I allowed them to drive my car home with me as a passenger. After waking everyone up, we headed east out of Saint Jo, a drive that provided lots of laughter and some very loosely pieced together memories of the night before. It was quite the morning.
Later that day, I decided I needed to take full advantage of the freshly fallen snow and met up with two of my good friends to ride around and take it all in on the notorious backroads that lie to the north of Muenster. To those who may not be familiar, that is what we do in Muenster. We grab some friends, perhaps some drank, a great playlist on the IPod, and a vehicle and head north on the gravel roads of Cooke County. Almost anyone you speak to in Muenster has taken advantage of these gravel roads and the amazing views they afford their travelers. It was a great day for a day road, and we were not the only ones with such a great idea as we passed many notable cars on our drive. Snow on the ground and snowscapes beyond every hill were the perfect setting for some great conversation and of course some sing-along to our favorite tunes. 

It was on that road with my friends that I re-discovered my affinity for the back road. Leaving all worries behind as you pass the city limit sign with only one obligation: stopping on the side of the road periodically to allow the passengers to relieve themselves. I could not have imagined a better way to appreciate the snow, other than being a young kid building a massive snowman and indulging in snowball fights. We were however able to get a peak into the latter. We were very entertained and surprised when we were ambushed on one road by a handful of kids armed with snowballs. As I looked to my left at the kids popping up from behind rocks and hurling snowballs towards my car, I was taken by surprise by the sound of a loud thump to my right. A rogue kid armed with a massive snowball hit his target, my passenger side window. That little event provided us all with some chuckles. As the daylight dwindled and the roads grew slightly icy, we indulged our appetites by eating some deer chili at another friend’s house in the Ville. Props to the chef. While there, I honed my skills in the extremely competitive sport of Foosball. Thanks to plenty of fierce competition, I have actually surprised others and myself by becoming much better. I always seem to surprise myself with my skills for mediocre sports, and thank God for that… ha ha. I never really was the sporty kind. After some good times in the garage and a handful of matches, we noticed the time and headed back to the Ster to call it a night. It was quite a long day, but very fun and a perfect end to the weekend.
That my friends is how you enjoy the snow in Muenster, that is the beauty of the backroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment